We each have the innate ability to heal ourselves. To empower ourselves with natural solutions, instead of succumbing to life-altering chemicals. There's a time and place for pharmaceuticals, but it shouldn't be the first answer, nor the only form of treatment.
Many of you are seeking out more natural ways to care for your family and I am right there learning with you. When possible, my first thought is to prevent illness. If it does occur, seeking appropriate medical treatment is the correct thing to do - appropriate sometimes includes antibiotics but not always. Antibiotics can be life-saving but should not be over-used. I'm going to post here some of my own thoughts on prevention but please remember that I am not a physician nor am I giving medical advice. Everyone needs to seek out the level of knowledge needed to make their own personal decisions.
We are right in the middle of flu and cold season and so far, we have avoided it. Prevention is the first thing to consider. Bodies with healthy immune systems are more likely to fight off germs when there has been an exposure - and we are exposed at every turn. Door handles, keyboards, shaking hands can all transmit germs to our hands which then carry them inside our bodies when we touch our face. Of course, being in the direct line of a sneeze is also a huge potential for exposure - Yikes!
The first level of defense is handwashing. Wash with soap for at least 20 seconds (Sing Happy Birthday through twice) and then dry with a clean towel. Be sure if you use a cloth towel that you change it often or have a separate towel for each person especially if someone is already sick.
Maintain a diet of healthy foods, plenty of fluids and get enough rest. You have heard that advice for when you are sick but practice it before you get sick to help boost your immune system.
My mother always tells the story that she and her brothers never were sick as children (well, except for that period of whooping cough!) and she says it is because their father made them each eat a pickled hot pepper every single day. I cannot imagine getting any of my children to actually do that but I can see some wisdom in it. Those peppers would have been full of Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Those vitamins help keep immune systems strong!
The natural world has so much to give to help us all avoid illness. I use a home diffuser with high quality essential oils as a line of defense for my family. The oils are very pleasant to diffuse.
Here are my favorites:
- Eucalyptus - This is the oil that smells like those mentholated rubs you may be familiar with. The oils of this plant have been shown to be a good antiseptic. It can help relieve congestion.
- Melaleuca - This oil is also called Tea Tree Oil. It is also well known as an antiseptic and can support the immune system.
- Cinnamon - I find this essential oil to be quite comforting in the diffuser. It makes our home smell so wonderful and everyone gets in a better mood when I use it. That decrease in stress is very helpful to your immune system. Cinnamon oil is also another antiseptic.
- Oregano - Oregano oil enhances the immune system and also supports the respiratory system plus is a great anti-oxidant.
- Sage - Another oil that is a good boost for the immune system and the respiratory system.
- Sacred Frankincense - The gift that was brought to Jesus by one of the wise men is also a wonderful gift for us. Diffusing this oil is very relaxing and a decrease in stress is very good for your immune system too.
There is one more essential oil I use which is available from Young Living: Thieves. This oil is a combination of several oils and is said to mimic the aromatics that robbers used to protect themselves when robbing victims of the plague and yet they never succumbed to the illness.
I'm into my second year of using essential oils in my home and love doing it. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have on how I use oils.
The oils can be purchased here: https://www.youngliving.org/starschipp
Now that link takes you to my website with Young Living and I hope you have time to look around. On the landing page, I have loaded the oils discussed here along with the diffuser I use in my home.
There are opportunities to get distributor pricing instead of retail and also opportunities to get your own web page if you are interested. Send me an email if you want to know more. At any rate, I hope you consider adding essential oils to your illness prevention plan whether you order from Young Living or another company - it is well worth doing.
Tomorrow is the day I talk about my work on MaryJanesFarm Merit Badges and I'll discuss why I'm getting rid of the carpets in my home. I'll also let you know how you can earn some badges of your very own! I hope to see you then.
Peace be with you,
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you make a purchase using one of those links, I may receive compensation at no extra cost to you. It is a great way to support your favorite hobby farm blogger. Thank you!