Join the Seeds of the Month Club - click the banner below.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Hedge-apples for Spiders: Fact or Fiction


Not a fan of spiders. I saw the movie 'Arachnophobia,' which was single-handedly rated in the top three worst choices of my life. 

Chris Pine


Fear of spiders is so common that it is estimated that about 50% of the population say they have an aversion to the creatures.  While I wouldn't exactly say I am afraid...I certainly do not like suddenly seeing one unexpectedly.  They are just so silent in their movement and the way they skitter about can give me the creepy crawlies.  Not to mention how unpleasant it is to walk into a web unexpectedly...and I feel bad for all that work was put into spinning and building it being wasted.  Spider webs have a true beauty in construction that I find fascinating..but I digress. 

Spiders outside I like.  I like the work they do and that they have an appetite for insects like flies and mosquitoes.  That makes them pretty useful around the farm.  However, spiders inside the house (or my car as I was recently surprised by one  quite unexpectedly!) I do not like so much.

Since I strive for using as natural products as possible in my home, I'm not a fan of using chemical sprays for insects.  I started seeking more natural ways to discourage spiders from residing within my humble abode. 

When we first moved here, I started seeing these green ball-like fruits all over the place.  We have an abundance of Osage-orange trees on our property.  Most of the time, we are frustrated having them because they have very long, sharp thorns that can puncture a lawn-mower tire...but at this time of year, they bless us with their fruit.  This fruit is non-edible (for humans or animals) and after doing some research,  I found that they are traditionally used as a insect repellent.

Toxicologists at Iowa State University tested compounds from hedge-apples and found, if concentrated enough, the insect repellent factor was effective.  However, in the natural concentration in just the fruit alone, it was not as effective.  

So, I tried them...I didn't have anything to lose.  I placed one in nearly every corner of the house and did see a decrease in the spider population.  They have a scent reminiscent of citronella so that is probably the reason they are effective.  In full disclosure though, there was one corner of the living room where a rather large wolf spider made it's home right next to the hedge-apple.  

I can't say it is a foolproof method but I think the hedge-apple treatment helped and had the bonus of being natural and FREE!  Do you have hedge-apples where you live?  

Peace, 

Star 

14 comments:

  1. I can see that you are putting a lot of efforts into your blog. Keep posting the good work. Some really helpful information in there. Nice to see your site. For more information visit potpourri for sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are very open and intensely clear explanation of issues. was truly information. Your website is very beneficial.
    BBA Project Help

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m really impressed with your article, such great & usefull knowledge you mentioned hereHelp With Biology Assignment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty helpful material, much thanks for this article
    Help With C Project

    ReplyDelete
  5. by visiting this site I found cool stuff here keep it up.
    Content Writing Agency

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate this work amazing post for us I like it.
    coursework writing services

    ReplyDelete
  7. only professional writers can make this kind of material, cheersFinance-Assignments.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The leading assignment help UK firm offers state of the art services to its clients with a promise of delivering all the required work well within the deadline.
    java expert help

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really great work. Thank you for sharing such a good and useful information here in the blog for students.
    Help With Law Projects

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy to read this. This is the kind of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that's at the other blogs.Psychology Assignment

    ReplyDelete
  11. All I could say about this write-up is well-written. It could prove much helpful for the people in learning about this topic. Students not being able to write their assignment could learn much about assignment writing from our assignment help experts. Simply opt for our Assignment Help and get the excellent an learning experience.

    ReplyDelete