Join the Seeds of the Month Club - click the banner below.

Monday, November 24, 2014

BE INTENTIONAL: Have you read Every Monday Matters?

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. - Abraham Lincoln

Monday is my day to do a check in with myself and time to understand my goals and my resolution to achieve them.  My biggest goal this year is to Be Intentional in all that I do.  Particularly in celebrating the hobby farm lifestyle.

I found a couple of books that I had actually bought a few years ago and - embarrassingly - never read.  Now is the time!

Every Monday Matters:  52 Ways to Make A Difference was written by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza.  The first sentence in this book is:  Have you made today matter?   Wow - way to put it right out there!  The book has 52 lessons - one to do each Monday of the year and I am jumping in with both feet to Be Intentional and make today matter.  So why Monday?  Matthew and Kelly discuss that for many people, Monday is the least favorite day of the week - the day the weekend ends and work begins; the day to quit a bad habit or start a new not-so-fun one.  Their goal has been to turn that right around.  I hope you will consider joining me on this journey because it will be so much more fun together.

So what is the goal for today?     Make a list of what matters most.  We spend an extraordinary amount of time keeping busy but do we spend that time on what matters most to us personally?  Is watching TV what matters most to you - I bet not - but I can tell you that I spend too much time doing that.   So, take time to list what matters most to you - Is it faith, family, friends, health, career or something else?  There is no need to share your list with anyone else unless it helps you set your own priorities - notice I said your own priorities - not what someone else may set for you.

Next, keep track of how you actually spend your time - how do the lists match up?  For me, there was a great disconnect.  That difference means that I need to determine which activities are required and which ones are distractions that waste time.  Take action to rearrange your schedule to spend the rest of your life doing what matters most.

So why did I also start reading that other book;  Charging the Human Battery by Mac Anderson?  This book is about motivation - particularly self-motivation - and I know that I need a serious kick in the seat of the pants so I can make the life I envision happen.  I have spent a lifetime letting life happen to me instead of the other way around and it is high time to turn that around.  The books really do complement each other and I am really excited to stick to this plan.  Anderson says the first step in self-motivation is to clearly determine your core values.  See how this matches up with the what matters most list?

The what matters most list will reveal your core values.  Those same core values are going to be the key to intentionally creating the life you were meant to live.

As Zig Ziglar said,  "People often tell me that motivation doesn't last, and I tell them, bathing doesn't either, that's why I recommend it daily!"  

Let's bathe ourselves in motivation daily by BEing INTENTIONAL

Peace,

Star Schipp

No comments:

Post a Comment