Join the Seeds of the Month Club - click the banner below.

Monday, December 8, 2014

Be Intentional: Week 3 - Every Monday Matters and Charging the Human Battery

Welcome to week three of our journey through two books:  Every Monday Matters and Charging the Human Battery.  I'm so glad you have joined us!

The topic of the week is a four-letter "F" word that is not welcome in polite company:  FEAR.  Our fears are not considered part of any friendly conversation....How are you?  Oh, fine.....you may answer...when deep down, there is something holding you back from the life you had planned, or the event you want to attend, or the project you want to start.

In Charging the Human Battery, Mac Anderson discusses fear in the entry for week three.  He quotes Mark Twain, saying:  "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not - absence of fear".  

How has fear affected you?  For me, I've missed out on opportunities because there we too many people there I didn't know; or I avoided reconnecting with old classmates because I'm not a size 8 anymore, or passed on a seminar on starting a business because I just didn't know quite enough yet and didn't want to appear ignorant.  In each of these cases, I projected what I thought others may think of me and that is certainly no way to go through life.

No more letting fear control me.  I will Be Intentional and find the courage on the other side of fear.  Here is my plan:

  • Pick something - anything - that you have carried as a fear.  Maybe it is learning to use a pressure cooker, or painting a picture, or growing all your own food or starting your business....pick one thing. 
  • Consider this:  What is the worst thing that could happen if you made a mistake in your chosen thing? Really think about the one worst thing...now, what is your plan if that thing actually did happen? 
  • Now, do your research and find the facts to avoid that worst thing you listed above.  Prepare for the task thoroughly. 
  • Lastly, intentionally do ONE thing TODAY to get closer to your goal.  And then do one more tomorrow and the day after that until you have reached your goal and conquered your fear.
Be your best John Wayne and know that it took courage to saddle up and make it happen.  I'm proud of you!  Please feel free to email me if you need a pep talk.  :)

The task for week three of Every Monday Matters doesn't exactly mesh well with this topic but it is a community service task you can do to protect a child.  Did you know you can sign up for Amber Alerts on your phone, on Facebook and on Twitter?  Amber Alerts are issued when a child has gone missing.  Some areas have Silver Alerts too when an elderly person is missing.  Please consider signing up to receive these alerts at http://missingkids.com/amber/WEA      You never know when you may be in a situation to protect a child...or can offer a prayer when the alert comes through.  

Tomorrow, I'll tell you how I'm making black gold at home ;)

Peace be with you, 

Star Schipp


No comments:

Post a Comment