Join the Seeds of the Month Club - click the banner below.

Monday, December 22, 2014

Be Intentional Week 5: The Difference Between 99% and 100%

Thanks Graphics Fairy for the vintage image of the bridge. 
There is a remarkable difference between a commitment of 
99% and 100%. 

Vic Conant 

If you have been reading Monday posts, you will remember that I set this day aside to Be Intentional and make the day matter.  This week, we are in week 5 of our reading of:  Every Monday Matters  along with Charging the Human Battery, both books certainly give us so much to consider. 

The task this week to make #EMM (Every Monday Matter) is focused on healthy eating.  I have always struggled with this - I truly love to eat fruits and vegetables but my family does not.  So, I usually end up making more than one meal at a time and, frankly, sometimes it takes more effort than I can muster after working.  

So, my focus in the next few weeks is to Be Intentional and find vegetables recipes that my family will eat.  As I've said in other posts, I'm willing to be sneaky about it.  Do you have any tips to give me?  I would love to see them in comments.  

Let's focus on the quote though. 

 There is a remarkable difference between a commitment of 99% and 100% as Vic Conant is quoted in Charging the Human Battery.  I mean, isn't 99% good enough?  Depends on what the topic is, doesn't it...I mean a score of 99% on a calculus test is pretty good I would say.

  But what if  that missing 1% could make a real difference...for example:  

What if your nurse says he or she is 99% certain the medication being given is correct? 
or 
The computer chip that is saving the precious pictures of a special event keeps 99 of them but loses 1
or  
The bridge spans 99% of the river but falls 1% short of the bank on the other side. 
or
 One of your sheep is missing even though 99 are safely in the pasture.  (Remember the Parables of the Lost Sheep, the Lost Coin and the Lost Son? Holy Bible:  Luke Chapter 15) 

I know that I can sometimes discount the value of being 100% committed to a goal - thinking that expending almost enough effort to succeed will suffice.  

Too frequently, thinking that way leaves me disappointed with my results and discounts the effort that was expended.  

I'm starting to form my goals for 2015 and I think this one is certainly a contender - to commit 100% to whatever I do.  I'm all in....are you?  I would love to here your thoughts on this topic in the comments!  

On Tuesdays, we focus on the animals around the farm so tomorrow's post will be on a project I am interested in:  Wildlife Habitat Certification.  Hope to see you then...

Peace be with you, 

Star Schipp     




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by Still Room Herbs :) .
    When my girls were little I snuck veggies into pasta sauce by blending them up and 'hiding' them in the sauce that way. They would even eat green alfredo (broccoli or spinach)!
    Roasting vegetables seems to make them more appetizing to my family. The ones who don't like them plain will happily eat them dipped in some ranch dressing.
    Thanks for this post, it gives me food for thought ... 1% can make a big difference!
    Merry Christmas,
    Catherine Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine Ann for the visit and the tips on the vegetables. I'll be trying them most certainly.

      Glad you liked the post. 😃. Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  2. There is a pinterest board called "recipes using hidden veggies" that you might find helpful. I have blended them in smoothies, made kale chips, shredded them into pancakes and muffins.

    ReplyDelete